It is well-known fact that in Quebec, most of the moves occur in summer. If you plan to move, take the time to read these 7 tips that will help to make this event as pleasant as possible for your Pup and you!
1.Before you even think about moving, it's important to make sure your dog can follow you to your new home. Indeed, nearly 170,000 cats and dogs will move in the coming weeks and unfortunately thousands of them will be abandoned by their owner. One of the reasons is the impossibility of having an animal in the new home. Contact your future municipality to know about the regulations in place regarding animals.
- Properly plan your move. This step will keep you stay calm if small hang-ups occur. Prepare food, hygienic necessities, and other daily treats in sufficient quantity for the first week, this will allow you to concentrate fully on your move.
- Take exercise or relaxation breaks with your dog so that they do not feel undue stress and are able to spend their energy positively. It is important not to neglect them during this stressful period.
- Make sure you have a box containing all your dog’s belongings (toys, bowl, food, leash, and pillow) on hand. Their belongings will serve as a source of comfort for your dog and will help them feel as though they are at home in their new environment.
- On the day of the move, stress will be at its highest level, both for you and for your dog. It might be a good idea to find them a somewhat quieter place, preferably with friends or family members, one or two days before the move. If this is not possible, keep your dog in a room away from the noise.
- Stress caused by the move could lead to undesirable behaviours. The use of soothing pheromones or medication could be useful in some cases.
- In the days following the move, be sure to update your dog's microchip information or licenses with the relevant agencies.
Moving is stressful for humans and pets, but with these few tips, you will contribute to its smooth completion. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our team.